Anime Review: Akatsuki no Yona

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Title: Akatsuki no Yona, Yona of the Dawn, The Girl Standing in the blush of Dawn,暁のヨナ
Genre: Romance,Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Historical
Category: Shoujo, Reverse-harem
Mangaka: Kusanagi Mizuho
Volumes: 20 Chapters: On-Going
Episodes: 24 OVA: 1 episode 
Princess Yona lives a life of luxury and ease, completely sheltered from the problems of the seemingly peaceful Kingdom of Kouka; however, the sudden murder of the king and betrayal of her beloved cousin Su-won places Yona's life in mortal peril. Forced to escape only with Son Hak, who is both her childhood friend and bodyguard, the naïve princess soon discovers that Kouka is not the idyllic place she envisioned it to be. Poverty, strife, and corruption run rampant, making reclaiming the throne nothing more than a wishful fantasy given the kingdom's current state. - muanimelist.
From left to right: Yoon, Jae Ha (Green Dragon), Son Hak, Zeno (Yellow Dragon), Shin Ah (Blue Dragon), Yona, Kija (White Dragon)

Honestly, this is the only reverse harem anime that I really, really like the female lead. Princess Yona probably the common MC that fall in love and acting all spoiled because she is a "princess" but everything crumbled down when the boy she loves kill her father, the King. Yona was revengeful and she want to avenge her first love and her own cousin, Su Won.At the same time, she learned the meaning of life as she was travelling with her bodyguard Son Hak and the four dragon warriors.

I would give 9/10 for the story plot. It's not really that bad for historical anime and I like historical anime actually. It just that I don't understand the time setting. Was it in Korea's Joseon dynasty or Goryeo dynasty or was it in Japan's Meiji era or Toshio era? Or was it Ming dynasty? I'm confused like literally confused. Their names may represent Koreans (and the language was Japanese of course, because it's an anime) and the clothing looks like from Ming dynasty. I know this is not so important for some people but...the time setting is bothering me. The story was good though. I really like how Yona developed from the weak cry-baby to a fierce lady who can lift a bow and SHE FELL IN LOVE WITH SON HAK DAMN SON HAK HA! I ship her with the blue dragon secretly tho hehe.

WHO DOESN'T LOVE THIS BLUE DRAGON SHIN AH HE'S HOT

8/10 for the OP and ED songs. I like the OP 1 song better than OP 2. I don't know why but I never skips the first OP because it gives me the feel of historical drama OwO. But OP 2 just, meh. Lets skip it. While ED 2 was better than ED 1. I don't why but let just leave it just like that.

9/10 for the characters. Let's just be honest, you all want to kill Su Won right? Well, I was one of them before but I don't know why I feel kind of pity at him because of the throne thing. His father supposed to be the next king but Yona's father take the throne and kill his father. Well, I haven't read the manga yet and I don't know what happen after the anime ends tbh. For Yona, the character development was really obvious on her; from being the weak princess to a fierce lady that everyone respect. Just take the example in the episode where she was so stubborn to take the medicine herbs on the cliff. She's so ambitious yet stubborn as she wanted to prove that she can be independent too. She was helped by Jae Ha at the end though. Thanks to him she didn't die from falling down the cliff. Son Hak on the other hand, I would like to have a loyal friend like him. Well, maybe a boyfriend like him HAH! He just so strong like how the hell did he survive from falling down the cliff when he was fighting with the Red village army? It's so insane... and oh, he's insanely handsome.

This what I came for

Overall, Akatsuki no Yona is a good anime in a nutshell. I would recommend to everyone who wants to watch reverse harem without any of the male characters drooling over one girl, but actually protects the girl from harm. And for anyone who likes historical-romance anime, I highly recommend this anime. Well, this is just from my own view. I'll be back with more reviews!


You Might Also Like

0 Comment(s)

ありがとございました!